Friday, June 13, 2008

Last of the rhubarb

We are going to a potluck for supper tonight--a wedding shower--and we have so enjoyed the rhubarb crisp, I thought I would make another, a LARGE one. When I went to the farmers' market they said this is the last batch. No more this year.

I'm not completely happy with the recipe I have in the old Betty Crocker Cookbook, so I have combined part of the recipe for Apple Crisp--it has oatmeal in it and nutmeg.

Rhubarb Crisp

4 cups cut-up fresh rhubarb (about 12 stalks)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 teaspoon cinnamon
("some" grated nutmeg - my addition)
1/3 cup softened butter

Heat oven to 350 F.
Place rhubarb in an UNgreased 10"x 6" baking dish.
Sprinkle with salt.
Measure sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg into mixing bowl,
add butter and mix together until evenly crumbly.
Sprinkle this mix over the rhubarb.

Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until topping is brown and firm.

Serve with something creamy (heavy cream, whipped cream, ice cream).

Six servings at this recipe's size. What you see below is a doubled recipe!


Here is the result, just now cooling on the stove top. I'd better call Charlie and tell him to pick up some whipping cream on the way home.

Now back to putting the binding on the placemats!

Sara

1 comment:

Sølvis blog said...

Looks so good -are you willing to share the recipe with me - I still have lots and lots of rubarb in my garden, and have been thinking about doing some baking today.

By the way - just found your blog, thanks to your comment in mine.