Friday, July 8, 2011

Liberated Round Robin, Step 3

I've been making squares for the next step of the Liberated Round Robin on the internet.  And I decided that the paisley print on the bottom was making my next decisions difficult.  Took it off and replaced with polka dots.

Then I added some plain red small borders to rest the eye between triangles and square-to-com.

Then I read Melody's posts about Quilt-As-You-Go borders.  Why, I could do that with this whole quilt.  Round Robins are just adding one border after another!

So I was distracted by the need to quilt what I had for the middle already before moving on.


Here's where I am on that right now.











But I just couldn't wait to add a border in the quilt as you go method.
This is how you do it:
Top border fabric [black and white check] face-to-face with the top; backing border fabric [green] face-to-face with the back.  Pin all three edges together.  No batting at this point!

Sew these three layers together.  I'm using a quarter-inch seam.


Now take your strip of batting and BUTT it against the edge of the three fabrics you just sewed together.  Using a zig-zag stitch sew together, just catching each side without overlaping them.

Here's what it looks like when you are done.

Then you flip the two border fabrics over that seam and press.

Now you quilt this border.

Trim off the excess batting and fabric.

Front has grown by one border side [black and white check].




And the back has grown by one border side [darker green].









-------------------

Today we are leaving for a week of vacation at a cottage near South Haven, Michigan. We will be nine family members together. I'm on duty with the oldest grandchild to make dinner tonight.  After that I'm going to enjoy the dinners cooked by other teams of two.

Sara

Gratitudes:
Family able to be together this year
Finished my reports for our Board meeting
Garden flowers in bloom

4 comments:

Nonnie Quilting Dreams said...

WE had a cottage in SOUTH HAVEN last year... Went to field for some quilting supplies... loved the beach .. ate out several times... Went into GRAND HAVEN...

HAVE FUN
NONNIE
http://nonniequiltingdreams.wordpress.com/
Nonnie's Quilting Dreams

http://nonniesquiltingdreams.podbean.com/
Pod cast about quilting, life, rants and raves

sophie said...

Such great choices for your quilt. I'm so jealous of your holiday in South Haven. Have a wonderful time.

Julie Fukuda said...

I like those two borders way better than the paisley. Have a great time with the family!

Vic in NH said...

Thank you, Sara, for this most excellent tutorial. I understood everything clearly and I believe that I could whipstitch the batting into place by hand in lieu of a zigzag machine. I enjoyed your vintage feedsack backing!