Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Quilt at Auction

Here is the quilt as it was displayed at the Grand Rapids Women's Chorus auction. The size is 74" x 104", which is a double bed size, or a topper for a queen or king.

I made it from four "jelly rolls" of fabric. These are pre-cut strips of 2.5" x the width of the fabric are are usually a complete line of fabric. They included all the green, orange and red/purple. I added one strip of yellow and one strip of blue.
When I had it all together I took it to Mary Davis for machine quilting. Then it came home again for the binding--also machine sewn on both sides.

I found this to be enjoyable at almost all stages, and was SOoo delighted that it fetched a good price for the Chorus! I'll do another quilt next year.

I have started cutting strips for the quilt that Bonnie Hunter is leading as a Mystery right now over the next several months. I am attacking my box of plaids for the darks and the lights, and at the moment think I will use a yellow homespun for the Accent color. Or maybe I'll use red, my continual favorite.

3 comments:

GRACE said...

sara, so glad your beautiful quilt got such a good return and welcome to blogland!

cityquilter grace

Karen (Misiz C) said...

That's wonderful, Sara! I know it feels great to have a contribution earn so much for a good cause.

Your quilt is beautiful. I'm sure the winning bidder will cherish it.

I'm glad you are joining Bonnie's mystery project. I hope you will post photos of your progress.

Dawn said...

Oh that is a wonderful bargello! The colors are wonderful!