Saturday, April 19, 2008

First Bread loaf

Bread "in five minutes a day".

Mix the dough and refrigerate.

Next day sprinkle cornmeal on the peel. Take 1/4 of the dough, form into a smooth round. Lay on the
peel.

Rest 20 minutes.




During this time, heat the stone and the oven to 450 degrees.



Slash the top of the loaf.

Slip loaf onto stone and quickly pour 1 cup hot water into broiling pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Cool on a rack.

This was my first real LOAF. The crust was really crunchy, though the bread itself didn't seem to have much flavor.

I think the holes should have been more throughout the loaf, rather than all near the top crust.

Charlie and I ate half the loaf by having two slices each for dionner, and then we toasted most of the rest for breakfast.

I can see that I would need to bake about twice a week to have bread for this household of two, and I would use some whole wheat flour next time for better flavor.


Sara

No comments: