Thursday, April 17, 2008

Large HSTs

I'm really enjoying the project I am working on for my SpoolSpinners' Secret Sister. Can't show you 'cause occasionally someone from the Bee visits my blog. Don't want to reveal myself before December!

However, I can show you a UFO project that just needs the borders finished. Some of the comments on Stashbuster have inspired me to look through my box of UFOs to find something "easy" to finish. I found a packet of nine-patches from a swap, and a few others that were the same size--9.5" unfinished. Eighteen of those, not enough for a twin top! What could I use as a simple alternate block, other than a plain piece of fabric?

Looking through Bonnie Hunter's patterns, I saw one with large half-square triangles as an alternate to 16-patches. Perfecto! I grabbed some of the 10.5" squares cut for future backings (also a Bonnie idea) and made THEM into the HSTs.

Putting the blocks together 6 x 6, gave me a 54" square, wide enough but not long enough. So I added another row, and will make the bottom border wide enough to bring the length even greater.

SpoolSpinners Bee meets tonight and we are going to see how the Whacky Basket top looks after being quilted! Better take my camera.

Sara

Gratitudes:

Secret Sister fun


No comments: