Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Several long years ago, I belonged to the Cotton Club, which sent out monthly samples. A few years ago I thought to make a Sample Squares Quilt with a pile of them. I cut some squares in half to make sashings. I cut some squares in quarters to make cornerstones. I made quite a few rows on eight. Then I sewed some rows together, and another day I sewed some more rows together. Something was wrong when I was going to sew the two pieces together. The sashing wasn't on the "same" side. Who knew there was a "wrong" side? I looked at it and looked at it. And I almost cried. I put the whole thing away.
Today I am older and wiser. I manipulated the two big segments around until I saw that I only needed to make two more strips of the sashing, sew them on the "right" sides, and all would be well. . . .and FINISHED. So today I did that.
Bingo another top for Margaret's Hope Chest.
I gave myself a break and had "15 Minutes of PLay" as advocated the Victoria of Bumblebeans. I thought it was time to experience something monochromatic, so I pulled all the GREEN I could find in my String Bin. Then I "thoughtlessly" sewed.
The really clever thing I did next was. . . [wait for it]. . . I put all the green fabric and new blocks away in a paper grocery bag, out of sight. So I'm not distracted until I need the time for a break again.
Now I have a star UFO made of string-made HSTs, and a pile more of the HSTs. So far I have put three plain inner borders around the star, and I am thinking about using the HSTs outside them.
They are all lying on my Design Bed. I will have to decide SOMETHING before I go to sleep, even if I do go and read a little escapist fiction this evening.
Lynne was well enough to make it to GRWC rehearsal last night
A morning to sleep in [until 9:30!]
Asiago Cheese bread at Panera