Friday, November 5, 2010

'Nother UFO


I don't know what this block is called, but it is made of one large HST and five small HSTs.  It looks a little like a Chinese hat to me, if you put the long diagonal line downwards.   I had nine blocks in a bag along with many small HSTs  and some uncut fabric.  First step:  make the rest of the fabric into more blocks!


Now I had enough blocks for a medallion-style center.


While making the additional blocks I decided to make "some" of them with the large HST facing the opposite way, making more of a basket-style block.  Two of them were yellow, and they went in the center of the medallion.  I had four left of the darker blue, so, obviously the place to put them would be in the outer corners.


Now I am fooling around with the 36 extra small HSTs and a few squares to make a line from corner to corner.  This will REALLY use up all the remaining fabric in this bag.  With some additional muslin. . . .

Sara

Gratitudes:

Good quilting progress today
WBLU kept me company with classical music
Snow "showers" stayed in the air, not on the ground

4 comments:

beth said...

that will be a very pretty quilt! Love the block!

scraphappy said...

What a fun quilt. I love the fabrics you used.

Finn said...

Absolutely love what you are doing with that UFO Sara!! I'm beginning to wonder if our best inspiration springs from desperation? Not that we are desperate in it's truest sense, but that we have such a strong conviction to finish up something we've started. I find myself doing the same thing you are, almost like seeing the project with new eyes and being more creative that I was when I began it! It's making a very pretty quilt! Hugs, Finn

Magpie Sue said...

Hi Sara! I'm here on Finn's recommendation. So glad I came for a visit! This UFO turned into a lovely little top. What happy colors!

I think your original block is one that is known alternately as Lost Ship, Ship at Sea or even Sailboat (although why the last one I'm not sure).

I haven't signed up officially to participate in Finn's UFO challenge but if you go over to my blog you'll see what I'm doing with some blocks from about 15 years ago ;- ) Great minds think alike!